- Lever, J. & Fischer, J. (2018) Kosher and Halal Business Compliance, Routledge.
- Lever, J. and Fischer, J. (2018) Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press.
- Knight, J., Lever, J. & Thompson, A. (2017) . Cardiff, South Glamorgan: University of Wales Press.
- Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J. (2015) Halal Matters: Islam, politics and markets in global perspective London, UK: Routledge, ISBN 978-1-13-881275-8 | Introduction available here.
- Refai, D., Haloub, R. and Lever, J. (2018) Contextualizing entrepreneurial identity among Syrian refugees in Jordan: The emergence of a destabilized habitus? Special Issue of International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
- Lever, J., and Powell, R. (2017) 'Problems of involvement and detachment': Norbert Elias and the investigation of contemporary social processes, in Human Figurations, 6(2)
- McElwee, G., Smith, R. and Lever, J (2017) Illegal activity in the UK halal (sheep) supply chain: towards greater understanding, in Food Policy, 69
- Knight, J., Thompson, A. and Lever, J. (2016) Network Evolution during Long-term Migration: A comparison of three case studies in the South Wales region, in Social Identities: for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture
- Lever, J. and Milbourne, P. (2015) ‘The structural invisibility of outsiders: the role of migrant labour in the meat-processing industry’, published on-line first 23 December: Open Access in Sociology.
- Powell, R. and Lever, J. (2015) Europe’s perennial "outsiders": A processual approach to Roma stigmatization and ghettoization, in Current Sociology
- Knight, J., Lever, J. and Thompson, A. (2014) The Experience of Polish Migrants in the Welsh Labour Market: A comparison of three regions in South Wales, in Central & Eastern European Migration Review, December 2014
- Lever, J. and Milbourne P. (2014) Migrant workers and migrant entrepreneurs: changing established/outsider relations across society and space?, in Space and Polity, Vol. 18, No. 3, 255–268
- Lever, J. and Smith, I. (2013) 'Learning to build sustainable communities: an interdependency network perspective', in People, Place and Policy On-line 7 (3), December
- Lever, J. (2013) ‘The postliberal politics of halal: new trajectories in the civilizing process?’, in a special issue of Human Figurations 2 (3), November
- Miele, M. and Lever, J. (2013) Civilizing the market for welfare friendly products in Europe? The techno-ethics of the Welfare Quality Assessment, Geoforum 48 (2013) pp. 63–72
- Lever J. and Miele, M. (2012) The growth of Halal meat markets in Europe: an exploration of the supply side theory of religion’, Journal of Rural Studies 28 (4) pp. 528-537.
- Howard, J. and Lever, J. (2011) ''New Governance Spaces': what generates a participatory disposition in different contexts?', Voluntary Sector Review, Vol. 2 (1).
- Lever, J. (2011) ‘Urban regeneration partnerships: a figurational critique of governmentality theory’, in Sociology 45 (1).
- Taylor, M., Howard, J. and Lever, J. (2010) ‘Citizen Participation and Civic Activism in Comparative Perspective’, The Journal of Civil Society 6 (2).
- Shaftoe, H., Turksen, U., Lever, J. and Williams, S., ‘(2007) Dealing with terrorist threats through a crime prevention and community safety approach’, Crime Prevention and Community Safety, Vol. 9 (4).
- Lever, J. (2005) ‘Governmentalisation and Local Strategic Partnerships: whose priorities?’ Environment and Planning C, Government and Policy: Vol. 23 (6).
- Lever, J. and Swailes, S. (2017) Ballet for the Sun King: Power, Talent and Organisation’, in The Social Organisation of Marketing: a figurational approach. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lever, J. and Evans, A. (2016) Corporate social responsibility and farm animal welfare: towards sustainable development in the food industry?, in Corporate Social Responsibility: Academic Insights and Impacts. London, UK: Springer.
- Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J.(2015) ‘Introduction: Studying the politics of global halal markets’, in Halal Matters: Islam, politics and markets in global perspective, Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J.(Eds.), London, UK: Routledge, pp.1-18.
- Lever, J (2015) Reimagining Malaysia – a postliberal halal strategy?, in Halal Matters: Islam, politics and markets in global perspective, Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J.(Eds.) London, UK: Routledge. pp. 19-37.
- Lever, J.and Anil, H. (2015) ‘From an implicit to an explicit understanding; new definitions of Halal in Turkey’, in Halal Matters: Islam, politics and markets in global perspective. Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J.(Eds.), London, UK: Routledge. pp. 38-54.
- Attar, M., Lohi, K. and Lever, J. (2015) ‘Remembering the spirit of halal: an Iranian perspective’, in Halal Matters: Islam, politics and markets in global perspective. Bergeaud-Blackler, F., Fischer, J. and Lever, J.(Eds.) London, UK: Routledge. pp. 55-71.
- Lever, J., Wood, A., Meaton, J. and Mswaka, W. (2014) ‘PRME and The Centre for Sustainable and Resilient Communities at the University of Huddersfield,’ in Inspirational Guide for the Implementation of PRME. Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf Publishing.
- Miele, M. and Lever, J. (2014) Improving Animal Welfare in Europe: Cases of comparative bio-sustainabilities, in Sustainable Food Systems: Building a New Paradigm, Marsden, T. and Morely, A. (eds.) Earthscan
- Taylor, M., Howard, J., Harris, V., Mateeva, A., Miller, C., Petrov, R., and Serra, L. (2009) ‘Dilemmas of engagement: the experience of non-governmental actors in new governance spaces’, NGPA Research Paper 31.
- Grimshaw, L. and Lever, J. (2008) ‘Citizens’ participation in policy-making [in Europe]’, CINEFOGO Working Paper.
- Lever, J. (2006) ‘Mainstreaming Regeneration’, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM), Sustainable Communities Working Paper.